Monday, March 21, 2011

Day whatever the hell it is for gardening & photography

The tomatoes are finally about 2in tall. After work today, I spent about an hour and 20 min repotting the little ones. All together, I had 49 plants. Each now in their own little pot. The next few days will be a test for them while their roots adjust to the new environment. Then I can't wait for them to take off again. I plan on selling the extra plants for $1 each. All I want is to break even for what I spent on seeds, pots, and soil. Working on acquiring more soil for free or close to free.

Weather: gales and showers. Puts people in a bad mood methinks. That and plus it's Monday. Happy to be home.

Found a great photographer: Roni River, an Israeli photographer. I didn't really read any of her writings since they were in all caps. But the photos...so evocative. I think she's gorgeous. It makes me sad when she posted a picture of herself commenting that it's taken her a long time to gather enough courage to post it. Honestly, her reluctance is a feeling every women/girl can share, unfortunately. I look at my body and I feel unhappy about it. Scars without a great accompanying pirate story. Just there because I was lucky enough to be in the middle of the Venn diagram between the circles of "the 11 year old with shingles (which happens to be a mostly old person's disease and those who are immunocompromised, of which I am neither)" and "Asian with skin prone to form keloids." I'm not stupid. I know what they are, though I don't talk about them to others. In high school when I was in XC, I didn't think I was skinny enough though my best friend who struggled with her own body image problems, told me she wishes she was my size. Instead, I looked enviously at others who didn't store body in the belly area. Always wanted to be five pounds lighter. Now at 27 years old, I look enviously at that girl in high school and wondered why she didn't see something that made her happy? Of course I can't think that without turning my spotlight on myself now. It's a struggle when I constantly see the clash of the body image society holds as ideal and reality failing that ideal. Even though Luis tells me at every opportunity how beautiful I am and never gets tired of reaffirming it whenever I ask, I never truly believe him. Fifteen pounds less...

...all why I love her photography. She puts such a playful spin on the image of her body. Sexy, beautiful, gorgeous, fun. I love that she puts her body out there. It makes me want to take up photography so I can show myself my body through my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment