Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Religion at work

I've been with the CU since September and this week was my first time at the Kearny branch. And I must say, love the people there.

The manager used to work with the humane society. The full-time teller loves history and science. Today was my second time there and the MSR is really less shy than I initially thought he was. And the lead loves to cook. The only one whom I am unsure about is the temp. The teller and I were talking about something in the morning and she started talking about the bible. Unsettling. Obviously that conversation was short.

Speaking of cooking, the MSR at CV gave me her recipe for her Spanish rice and enchilada sauce, will definitely have to try it sometime. Meanwhile, Luis' cooking is getting better all the time. I think the only barrier to cooking is getting that feel, or instinct almost, of knowing what goes well with what. Everything after that is experimentation!

Rachel the other teller at CV gave me a magazine called Mother Earth News. Her bf bought it for her because the stuff in there is what he wants her to do. She lend it to me because she thought I'd be interested in it...and I read every single article. It talks about vegetables that grows in shade, types of chickens to raise, DIY compost tea, and on their website, there's an article on pickling! Can you say love?? I forgot the magazine in the breakroom yesterday so Rachel interbranched it to me today at Kearny. I placed it next to my window and I actually had a member ask if I read it too? We started talking about gardening and he discussed his erosion problems on his one acre land. To summarize, it's a lot of manual labor, and men at Home Depot are apparently not a cheap source of labor. Can't buy them off with pizza and beer.

Anyway, two magazines totally worth subscribing to: Cook's Illustrated and Mother Earth News. Cook's Illustrated doesn't actually have a lot of colorful photos, which if you know me, I absolutely require in a cook book, but the information and tips are scientific in a way I trust. Plus, everything that I've made from their Cooking for Two has worked out great. Both of these comes out every two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment